the art of ritwell
Hello! My name is Riley Langston.
I am an independent freelance artist located in Minneapolis who enjoys storytelling through illustrated narratives. I have been doing commissioned work for about five years now, and in my free time I like to design my own characters and illustrate scenes from their stories.
Are you open for commissions?
In order to know whether I am open for commissions or not, please see my Twitter bio description. It is the quickest way for me to update my commission status! If you're not entirely sure, you are always welcome to reach out to me via Twitter messages or by emailing me at [email protected].
When are you available?
I try to reply to messages and emails within 3-4 business days. I am usually available online from 1pm-6pm on weekdays. If you send me something during the weekend, I will respond the following Monday.
Do you do NSFW art?
Nope. There are plenty of wonderful talented artists out there doing it, but you won't find it here! I try to keep things G-rated, for my own sake as well as my followers'.
What drawing programs do you use?
I used to use Adobe CC for a long time along with a small Wacom Intuos Draw tablet. I have now switched to an iPad with a Paperlike screen cover, and use an Apple Pencil and Procreate.
What college did you attend?
I attended Minneapolis College of Art & Design for a semester before dropping out and focusing on commission work full time. Though I enjoyed the experience, I could not afford to stay. Perhaps I'll try again in the future! :-)
Below are just a few small examples of my work, both full pieces as well as character designs. I like to focus on interactions between characters, flowing forms, nature scenes with lots of foliage, and vibrant colors. I have the inclination of drawing felines and canines, but I also love to draw all other animals and human characters.
claiming a spot
PLEASE NOTE : As I make my switch to the iPad and tend to other work, commissions will be opening less frequently and more sporadically through the year. I know this can be hard to keep up with, so message me if you're very set on a commission and haven't had a chance yet - I usually can save you a spot if you don't mind waiting!
How do I claim a commission spot?
I will post a tweet announcing when I am taking commissions with a google form linked ( I will probably take no more than 3-4 at a time. ) This form is where you will put your commission information.If you would like to reserve a spot for a future time, or have questions about the form/commissions beforehand, you are welcome to message me directly.Once I have reviewed your information and let you know via DM or email that your spot is secured, keep an eye out for an invoice.With the invoice paid, I can then start the preliminary sketch for approval.You can keep updated on progress of commissions with this trello queue.
* Immediate payment isn't necessary, but is preferred if convenient. If not, don't worry about it! Just message me when it's been taken care of so I can know when I may start the piece.
terms of service
01. Commissions are discussed either through Twitter messages (@ritwells) or through email. If you are using email, please send it to [email protected], with your name, twitter handle, and the word “commission” following it as the subject. That way I know who you are and why you’re emailing me and I can get back to you asap!
02. Please do not edit my art without my permission at any time. You are allowed to crop it for your icon or banner, but please do not forget to credit me somewhere if my logo or signature is not visible.
03. My style will remain with the commission - please view my art on twitter @ritwells for an idea of what I do, as that’s where I update mostly. I’ll occasionally post things here and on Instagram, but it’s rare. If you want a piece with a particular resolution for a desktop or something, PLEASE let me know! Typically, my pieces end up being around 1500-2000px wide and at 300dpi for high resolution. Specify if you need it to be in CMYK for printing!
04. I enjoy having artistic freedom, but if you have something specific in mind, please give me an idea of what you would like with as much detail as you can! I want to satisfy my customers to the best of my ability. However, if you're alright with me taking free rein, I don't mind it at all.
PRICES & PAYMENT
01. I take all payments through PayPal invoices or my Ko-Fi. No cash or eChecks.
02. Your payment has no due date, but the sooner you pay, the sooner I may be able to get to your piece (depending on your queue position). I will not start on a piece until full payment has been made due to problems with this in the past.
03. Prices ARE negotiable depending on your financial status. I know we all have priorities of some sort, but I won’t be making any huge deductions from my regular prices. If you can’t afford it all at once, we can sort out a payment plan that is within reason :-)
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS
01. I will allow cancelling a commission, but if I have started on the piece already, your refund will only amount to what hasn’t been worked on. For instance, if you paid me $140 for a piece, and I’ve only gotten to the sketch, you will get a refund of $100.
02. If you decide to cancel things before I’ve started, that’s totally fine! You have no obligation to keep me as your artist if it takes too long or something comes up. To cancel, just email me or send me a message on Twitter.
03. If you ignore payment for 5 days without explanation, I will cancel the commission. However, if something comes up, PLEASE feel free to message me on twitter to get my response immediately, or email me.
01. I will always send a rough WIP sketch AFTER payment has been completed. These sketches cannot be reposted and are only for personal approval of the piece.
02. I will sometimes tweak colours and designs to suit my style but not so much that your character isn’t recognisable.
03. When I receive your form response with what you have in mind and have approved it, I will add you to the trello queue. There, you can keep updated with the process of your art. Keep in mind this board is mostly for my own organisation so it might look messy at times! I will email/message you when I have started and completed your piece.
04. Commissions are my only source of income and I do try to maintain life outside of work, so sometimes I may need a break. However, I will always update on progress and notify you if something comes up.
05. Please let me know if you require a deadline.
06. I am usually very good at keeping up with messages when it regards a commission. If you need to talk to me about something regarding your piece or are curious to see the progress, please don't feel afraid to message or email! I try to get back to messages within 2-3 days, but the best times to reach me via DM/email will usually be weekdays 9am-5pm central time. During weekends I may post personal work but I will not reply to messages (unless urgent) until the Monday of that coming week.
Updates & revisions
01. You are allowed 2 revisions of a sketch. Any more after that and it is a $10 added fee*. Updates of fully completed reference sheets require a $20 fee.
* this may not apply in the case of a reference sheet, which requires lots of commissioner/artist interaction for full satisfaction.
01. I can draw most things ( and if not practised on something, I do employ references! ) but I have a knack for animals + anthros. However, I do enjoy drawing people as well! I've been practising my scenery too, so I'm also capable of that.
02. PLEASE NOTE, I will NOT draw the following : NSFW, fetish art, mechanical characters, vehicles ( may be some exceptions ), detailed city scenes. If you have any questions about something I haven’t mentioned, please ask, but don’t be personally offended if I turn down something. Generally I enjoy a good challenge.
All art created by me can be reposted but ONLY with credit to my Twitter, IG, or DeviantArt. Usually I will retweet your posts with my art in them if I see them! If you repost your commissioned art, LET ME KNOW so that I can check it out.
What I hope to achieve with my commission work is a healthy relationship between commissioner and the artist. I do my best to incorporate a process that encourages positive interactions between me and my commissioners. This isn't to say I'm trying to make "best buds" with everyone, but more so that I try to satisfy the commissioner's desires to the best of my ability while also maintaining some artistic freedom.
This being said, please be respectful. I am mindful of my amiability with everyone, and I would expect the same from my followers. I'm not a machine who cranks out artwork (though it may seem like it some days), and there are the rare occasions I may need a rest, or I won't respond as rapidly as you may expect. Whatever the case, I will explain myself and I hope my commissioners will understand.
I hope to bring in new commissioners as well as returning ones, expanding my positive experience as a whole with all varieties of people. Thank you for considering me!
Please review the Terms of Service page before scrolling down. If you have already claimed a spot and are wondering about the status of your commission, please see this Trello board or message me.
Payment is taken through PAYPAL only! If not PayPal, you can use my Ko-Fi. No eChecks. For more information, see here. If you cannot afford a commission but still have interest in supporting me, consider donating to my Ko-Fi page!
If you are curious about any sort of pieces that are not listed below ("redraws" of screencaps, posters, photos ; faux animated film screencaps ; character expression sheets ; etc ) please reach out to me via DM and we might be able to work something out. These sorts of pieces usually will not fall beneath 100 USD however.
With an optional slight gradient overlay, these pieces are without complex shading and have either a white or solid colour background.
Additional characters are a +$50 fee. Limit of 3 characters per piece.
SHADED w/ SOLID COLOR BG
Single character with one layer of shading, plus a solid colour background.
Additional characters are a +$60 fee. Limit of 3 characters per piece.Simple props free of charge ( like bottles, papers, books, etc. More complex items might include furniture, weapons, detailed accessories. )Simple backdrop (see middle image) is an extra $20+ (price may increase due to difficulty)
SHADED + DETAILED BACKGROUND
$200 USD (unavailable)
Single character in full view, with shading and a detailed background. Price varies depending on complexity of background.
Additional characters are a +$60 fee. Limit of 3 characters per piece.
$250+ USD (unavailable)
$250 base includes: anthro back view / front view, 1 clothed pose, 1 feral pose, eye detail
Additional accessories are a +$20 fee. Examples of accessories can include ear, foot, tail, horn, and expression details as seen in the examples above.Please specify 1-2 color palettes for the layout, otherwise I will choose!